1. True freedom is understanding that we have a choice in who and what we allow to have power over us.
2. The minute you start caring about what other people think, is the minute you stop being yourself. – Meryl Streep
3. Acting is not about being someone different. It’s finding the similarity in what is apparently different, then finding myself in there.
4. I think that you find your own way… In the end, it’s what feels right to you. Not what your mother told you. Not what some actress told you. Not what anybody else told you but the still, small voice.
5. My advice: don’t waste so much time worrying about your skin or your weight. Develop what you do, what you put your hands on in the world.
6. The great gift of human beings is that we have the power of empathy.
7. It’s good to push yourself and do what you don’t necessarily want to do, that if you’re not automatically good at it, you should try it. Trying is so important.
8. The formula of happiness and success is just being actually yourself, in the most vivid possible way you can.
9. You have to embrace getting older. Life is precious, and when you’ve lost a lot of people, you realize each day is a gift.
10. Power, influence, strength — all those things can overpower what’s important in life. But as long as you have food and shelter over your head, if the necessities are taken care of, what makes us happy on top of that is very simple.
11. Put blinders onto those things that conspire to hold you back, especially the ones in your own head.
12. Integrate what you believe in every single area of your life. Take your heart to work and ask the most and best of everybody else, too.
13. People will say to me, ‘You’ve played so many strong women’ and I’ll say, ‘Have you ever said to a man, ‘You’ve played so many strong men?’
14. As there begins to be less time ahead of you, you want to be exactly who you are, without making it easier for everyone else.
15. I think your self emerges more clearly over time.
16. All an actor has is their blind faith that they are who they say they are today, in any scene.
17. The interesting thing about being a mother is that everyone wants pets, but no one but me cleans the kitty litter.
18. It is well that the earth is round that we do not see too far ahead.
19. Having been let out of the barn once, I know I wouldn’t be happy if I were home all the time.
20. I think I’m not a natural performer; I think I’m an actor.